The Best Bolognese Sauce
More of a hybrid bolognese/marinara creation, but still delicious!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
- 2 lb beef Or 1lb beef 1lb pork
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8-10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 4 large stalks celery, chopped
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 large bunch fresh parsley, chopped finely can sub 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan A parm/asiago mix also works well
Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Combine 2 lb beef (or beef/pork mixture), onions and garlic. Cook until beef is brown and onions/garlic are cooked through.
While beef is cooking, place chopped carrots, celery, and 1/2 of the crushed tomato can in a blender or food processor. Blend/process until pureed.
Once beef is fully browned, add tomato paste and mix well to incorporate; saute for another 1-2 minutes.
Add carrot/celery/crushed tomato puree, white wine, diced tomatoes, the rest of the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, parsley, and thyme. Mix well.
Cover with a slight crack for venting and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
Add grated parmesan and simmer for another 30 minutes.